Saturday, January 5, 2008

Runs of three

Is it just me or does anyone else have runs of three? Since I entered independent practice, every birth I have attended has been one of three! I swear, it's true, not a single stand alone birth! Last month, I had two runs of three, a week apart. The month before two runs of three, two weeks apart. This month i had a run of three last week, and now already, I have a woman in labour and another in early labour... which could of course all stop, but.... if they keep getting closer like this, will I end up with runs of six? I couldn't cope with that!

One of the deliveries last week was a wonderful primip, so strong and grceful and bave, that I wanted to cry for her! She laboured beautifully to full dilatation with no pain relief except the pool, and began pushing soon after. Eventually, after two hours we got out of the pool. Baby was fine. Slow but steady progress forr the next half hour, but mum's contractions started to go off. The head was "right there" but the contractions just weren't bringing it any closer. Nipple stimulation failed to increase them, and the position was all wrong. Finally, I asked her permission to do an episiotomy. I hate doing them, and never do them, but I did this one, and it was immediately followed by the birth of a good sized pink screaming baby. But my call was a good one. That uterus had had enough, and despite active management of third stage, next thing I knew there was blood, and lots of it, everywhere. Basically, she lost about 1100 mls. So, after her beautiful strength in labour, and completely unmedicated birth, she ended up with suppositories for her stitches, and an IV for her bleeding.... Why does it happen that way?

No comments: