Saturday, January 5, 2008

Domestic violence....

This post was a while ago, but I now have a follow up on the story, that raises more questions than it answers.
I was at the hospital the other day, and ran into the social worker involved in that case. She asked me if I had heard from CYPFS. "Errrm, no?" I replied, slightly confuzzled.

She then told me that my client has been admitted to hospital twice after beatings, and the child is now at the centre of a massive custody battle. The partner is wanted by the police for assault and battery and CYPF's are asking why "something wasn't DONE". WTF? we BEGGED them to do something! Everyone who was involved in the case had nightmares about the potential headlines, and now, although it is not the baby being beaten (to our knowledge) they are coming true, and WE are in the wrong!???

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. I guess my point is, that this woman had the right and the responsibility to avail herself of help all those months ago. While I agree it is sad that she may now lose her child, this was her decision. Her plan to "change him" didn't pan out, and now, the shit has (predictably) hit the fan. but, my question to you, my intelligent and opionated readers, is what could I have done to hellp her make a different, better decision? Anything? Suggestions, please!

1 comment:

Style Police said...

No. There is nothing more you could have done.

Sometimes, women have to take responsibility for their own decisions. & I know, I know, a woman who is being abused is not in a great 'head space' to make informed, autonomous decisions... but... but... we HAVE to hand over responsibility for some things to the women themselves.

I hear 'The Question' asked to all women antenatally, but not on discharge & not postnatally.... the problem is here in the UK, that the outcome for women who DO 'admit' to experiencing DV, is so poor, that if I were them, i'd lie as well.

How sad is THAT?